At the end of 1920 or early 1930 Sanitary Board (New Municipal Board
Kuala Belait was established, while Seria area was gazetted as municipal area in
1936. A building made of wooden walls and roof was used for Government Offices. This
building was situated between Sultan Jamalul Alam Mosque and the new government offices
building, Kuala Belait.
Then in 1960 another building was built for the purpose of housing
government offices which includes the Municipal office. This is
located opposite St.James School in
Kuala Belait, which at the present still exist.
As the years past, Kuala Belait is growing rapidly for which community hall (which
was now know as Municipal Hall) was established in 1967. Municipal Department at
the time was under the Belait District Officer, the Municipal Department moved again
to the ground and first (1st) floors of the community hall, the second (2nd) floors
was used for the public library. Consequently, with this arrangement the public was
able to be given a central service.
However as soon as the public library moved to its new building which was completed
in the end of 1988, the Municipal Department used all the office spaces available
as their main offices, except the Community Hall, to house the increasing number
of officers / staff.
Branch office in Seria Town is located at Lorong Bolkiah.
Municipal Department was no longer under Belait Officer since 1st November 1985.
The first full time head of department was Pengiran Ali Hassan bin Pengiran Dato
Seri Laila Jasa Haji Abas.
Total Municipal area of Kuala Belait (210.83 sq. kilometer) and Seria (0.603 sq.
kilometer) is 23.39 sq. kilometer.